AmeriCorps State funding provided through CaliforniaVolunteers supports a wide range of local service programs that engage citizens as AmeriCorps members in meeting community and state challenges through service and volunteer action.
AmeriCorps grants are awarded to eligible non-profit and public organizations proposing to engage AmeriCorps members in evidence-based or evidence-informed interventions to strengthen communities. Grant applicants design service activities for a team of members serving full- or part-time for one year and are responsible for the recruitment, training, and supervision of AmeriCorps members. An AmeriCorps member is an individual who engages in community service through an approved national service position. Members may receive a living allowance and other benefits while serving. Upon successful completion of their service, members earn a Segal AmeriCorps Education Award from the National Service Trust that members can use to pay for higher education expenses or apply to qualified student loans.
Multi-state applicants or organizations that propose to operate AmeriCorps programs in more than one State or Territory must apply directly to the Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS), the federal agency overseeing AmeriCorps and other national service programs. Detailed guidance on CNCS’s grant application process for the 2019 Notice of Federal Funding Opportunity can be found here.
Prior to submission of a grant application to CNCS, multi-state applicants are required to consult with the State Commission of the state in which it intends to operate. Multi-state organizations proposing to operate in California consult with CaliforniaVolunteers by submitting an online National Direct Consultation Form to CaliforniaVolunteers.
Single-state applicants proposing to operate an AmeriCorps program solely in California must apply through CaliforniaVolunteers. See below for current funding opportunities.
- AmeriCorps Place-Based Initiative Funding Opportunity – Stockton Service Corps (Deadline Extended)
- California For All Emergency Preparedness Campaign AmeriCorps Funding Opportunity
- AmeriCorps Planning Grant Application Guidance and Instructions
Organizations interested in applying for an AmeriCorps grant are encouraged to visit the resources provided below:
- How to Develop a Program Logic Model
- High Quality Performance Measures
- Building Evidence of Effectiveness
- Preparing the Grant Budget for AmeriCorps Programs
- Applying for AmeriCorps State and National Grants
- AmeriCorps Rules, Regulations, and Provisions
- CaliforniaVolunteers AmeriCorps Grantmaking and Program Design Policies
Past Funding Opportunities
Click here to view our past funding opportunities. If you would like to stay informed of future funding opportunities, please join our mailing list above.