Newsletter – February 2009
Cesar Chavez Day 2009
Planning for the playgrounds will begin the week of March 2, when children from each community will meet with organizers from KaBOOM! and CaliforniaVolunteers to draw their “dream” play spaces. The children’s drawings will be used to create the final play space designs.
To make sure that the play space is a lasting monument to Chavez’s teachings, a unique mural will be painted at each site. Community volunteers will also build picnic tables, benches, shade structures and take part in landscaping projects.
The playground builds, which will take place on Saturday, April 25, 2009, will serve the communities of: Delano, Fullerton, Lemoore, Sacramento, San Bernardino and San Diego.
2009 Minerva Awards
CaliforniaVolunteers invite you to visit the Minerva Web site to read some of the winners from past years. Then think about the women you know who are involved in the organizations and work you support. Think about the women who have founded organizations in the communities you serve, who toil on the front lines of humanity daily and who have made an impact on the lives of others. If you know someone who deserves recognition for her dedicated service to empowering others, please complete the online recommendation form. CaliforniaVolunteers and The Minerva Awards appreciate your suggestions and look forward to learning more about the remarkable women you know of who live in our communities!
2009 National Conference on Volunteering and Service
Honorary Chairs, Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger and First Lady Maria Shriver encouraged: “Service and volunteering play a critical role in addressing our nation’s most pressing challenges. That’s why here in California we have promoted civic engagement to the highest levels of state government. Through acts of service, we can create change and achieve a positive legacy in our communities, in each of our states and beyond. Join us in San Francisco to learn about the latest trends and innovations in the field of service.”
More information regarding the conference is available at the conference Web site – www.volunteeringandservice.org.
House Hearing on National Service
- Usher Raymond IV Recording Artist and Chairman, Usher’s New Look Foundation
- James Harris Youth Participant, Usher’s New Look Foundation
- Richard Stengel Managing Editor, TIME Magazine
- Van Jones Founder and President, Green for All
- Cheryl L. Dorsey President, Echoing Green
- The Honorable Harris Wofford former US Senator (D-PA) and former CEO, Corporation for National Service
- Sgt. Major of the Army Kenneth O. Preston United States Army
- David L. Caprara Director and Nonresident Fellow, Brookings Initiative on International Volunteering and Service
- Lisa Hamilton President, UPS Foundation
Surviving and Thriving Conference Tour
CaliforniaVolunteers has developed a series of six half-day conferences to provide nonprofits access to key training and resources to help them better weather the economic downturn. These free conferences will be held across the state, in six different locations:
April 2 – Sacramento
April 8 – Fullerton
April 9 – Los Angeles
April 15 – Ontario
April 16 – Fresno
April 28 – Bay Area
For more information and registration, please check the CaliforniaVolunteers Web site on or after March 5, 2009.
Federal Stimulus Package Supports Expansion of AmeriCorps
- $89 million for AmeriCorps*State and National to support existing grantees
- $65 million for AmeriCorps*VISTA
- $40 million for the National Service Trust to fund education awards
- $6 million for technology upgrades at the Corporation
- $1 million for the Inspector General
Further guidance regarding the implementation of the stimulus package funding is forthcoming from the Corporation.
You are being sent this e-mail because you are on the newsletter mailing list of CaliforniaVolunteers.
To remove your email address, click here.
CaliforniaVolunteers respects your privacy. We do not sell, trade or rent personal information.
© Copyright 2010 by CaliforniaVolunteers