July 2019 Ridgecrest Earthquake Response
Donations & Volunteering
California Volunteers, Office of the Governor, ensures the coordination of volunteer activities related to disaster response and recovery. Additionally, we are charged with coordinating donations in times of disaster. We are the state resource for the public and organizations to seek coordination support and awareness for how best to be helpful, in terms of people power or monetary donations.
In response to the two major earthquakes near the town of Ridgecrest, California, from July 4 and July 5, California Volunteers continues to coordinate with state and local partners to determine the need for donations and volunteers.
How to Support
- The Kern County Earthquake Disaster Relief Fund has been established by the Kern Community Foundation. To support the community’s earthquake response and relief efforts, donations can be made by accessing this website.
- The Golden State Division of The Salvation Army has “set-up a kitchen at a Red Cross shelter at the Kerr McGee Community Center in Ridgecrest.” Meals are being served by staff from neighboring Salvation Army locations to those impacted. To support continued relief to those affected by the earthquakes, donations are being collected through this website.
- In response to the Ridgecrest earthquake the American Red Cross is providing direct services to Kern County. They are currently accepting monetary donations to support the effort, contributions can be directed here.
California Volunteers strongly encourages donors to carefully research charitable organizations prior to donating to ensure that their donated funds will have the desired result. For additional information and easy-to-use tips on avoiding charity scams following a disaster, please visit the California Office of the Attorney General’s Registry of Charitable Trusts website.
There are no formal volunteer needs being reported at this time.
This update was posted on July 6, 2019 @ 5:00PM.
California Volunteers: Updates on donation needs and volunteer activities will be posted here on our website, as well as, across all of our social media platforms.
- Website: https://californiavolunteers.ca.gov
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/CalVolunteers
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/CaliforniaVolunteers
Cal OES: Follow immediate updates and developments with the situation on the ground and response efforts by state officials.