The purpose of this Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) Train-the-Trainer
(T-T-T) course is to produce competent instructors for the CERT Basic Training course.
A competent CERT instructor:
- Delivers the CERT Basic Training course accurately, conveying the messages and intent of the CERT Program (e.g., safety, teamwork, and place in overall community emergency operations plan).
- Assures that participants achieve the objectives of the CERT Basic Training course.
- Delivers training effectively and at an appropriate level, thus enabling participants to learn and correctly apply skill sets.
- Creates a comfortable and managed learning environment.
Overall Course Objectives
At the conclusion of this training, participants will be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of the CERT Basic Training course.
- Demonstrate the ability to present an assigned portion of the course (teach-back).
- Communicate the core values of the program.
- Demonstrate classroom management techniques.
- Demonstrate effective teaching techniques.
- Model appropriate behavior as an instructor. In addition to the overall course objectives listed above, each unit has specific objectives.
The target audience for this course includes the following:
- People who will serve as the course manager for the CERT Basic Training course. This course manager would have the authority to designate instructors to teach selected units.
- People who will be CERT Basic Training course instructors in any capacity. Note: Individuals who conduct only one or two of the units may do so without taking the CERT T-T-T course. However, the CERT T-T-T course would give them a necessary overview of the CERT Basic Training course as well as improve their instructional skills.
The prerequisites for attending the CERT T-T-T course include:
- Must have a referral from a CERT sponsoring agency. The CERT sponsoring agency could be a local, regional, or state government public safety agency.
- If the CERT T-T-T course is sponsored by a State CERT coordinating agency (CaliforniaVolunteers), the participant must have approval from that agency as well.
- Must have taken the CERT Basic Training course.
CERT Train-the-Trainer courses are provided by at the Federal, State, and Local level. Click here for a schedule of State and FEMA approved courses: More information »